Biometric technology for student identity proofing will be a topic of discussion at the upcoming Sloan-C Symposium on Emerging Technologies for Online Learning.
The presentation, which will be given by Mark Sarver, CEO of eduKan and Jeff Maynard, CEO of Biometric Signature ID (BSI), will detail the benefits and cost savings associated with eduKan’s use of BSI’s patented BioSig-ID biometric technology.
The presenters will be sharing the results from their pilot study wherein eduKan students were using BSI’s technology to authenticate their identity before taking a test. The study, conducted in May-December of 2011, sought to reduce operational costs, increase student identity compliance, keep student fees low and ensure the highest levels of academic integrity.
Some of the benefits of BSI’s biometric technology include:
- Reduction of physical proctor labor by more than 8,000 hours
- Reduction in proctoring costs to students
- Ensured student privacy through use of biometrics that can be revoked and reissued
- BSI’s system yielded 99.97% accuracy rate to deter unauthorized people
- BSI is compatible with tablets, smart phones, Android, Mac or PC, Flash or HTML5 without installing any additional software or hardware
Founded in 1998, eduKan is a cooperative effort between member colleges to offer courses via the Internet. All member colleges are accredited learning institutions in the state of Kansas.
The Dallas-based Biometric Signature ID provides software solutions to reduce identity fraud through its patented BioSig-ID Online biometric handwriting and gesture technologies.